Vision and values: The Compton's DNA
The relentless pursuit of excellence fundamental to the culture of The Compton School rests upon a vision of challenge and support for all students across the ability range and irrespective of background. This involves high academic achievement for every student alongside excellent personal and social growth, preparing each student to become an independent learner with the confidence and ambition to make a very positive contribution to society.
The vision of outstanding provision at The Compton is exemplified in ‘The Compton’s DNA’. This informs the practice at our school and is at the heart of the school’s considerable success. This includes:
• Unfailing belief in the potential of all staff and students
• Total commitment from all staff - this dedication to hard work and excellence is infectious. All members of the school community ‘go the extra mile’
• Maximising progress for all - A relentless drive for the very best outcomes for every child, irrespective of background, through a range of strategies from expert and tight planning to personalised intervention, from microscopic interpretation of data to creative and innovative pedagogic practices
• Doing things the agreed Compton Way – consistency is fundamental to success. Clear and effective policies and procedures are developed with staff and implemented by all.
• The Distribution of Accountable Leadership – appointing and developing exceptional leaders at every level is key. This is achieved though talent spotting, nurturing, providing excellent role modelling and having clear roles and responsibilities and strong accountability systems in place at every level. Much responsibility is devolved from highly effective Governors and our first class Senior Team to Middle Leaders who are the experts in their field. They in turn are very well equipped and supported and highly motivated to take on responsibility for their area of the school
• Only the best will do - It is all about quality. High standards are set, modelled and achieved across the school in whatever we do. There is close attention to detail. This includes recruiting only the best staff; making every second of the day count; having a clear and staged improvement planning process, allowing exceptional practice to be developed planned for and embedded consistently and deeply across the school. As a result the quality of teaching is consistently outstanding across the school
• Unleashing potential - through intensive and effective CPD provision – both generic and bespoke. Growing and retaining excellent teachers across the school is essential to our success
• Positive relationships - The Compton is an emotionally literate school which features positive, honest and respectful relationships. Students feel safe and happy at The Compton. First class pastoral care is the responsibility of all. A highly effective team of non-teaching year managers build excellent links between home and school including with hard to reach and vulnerable families ensuring very high attendance rates. There is clarity about the rationale for the Code of Behaviour with clear bottom lines and plenty of praise. This is consistently applied throughout the school. Extensive opportunities are provided for student leadership including involvement in the running of the school
• Environment Matters - providing the best possible learning environment is key with high quality teaching and social spaces that are light, bright, clean and with a strong focus on excellent displays for learning
• An Outward Facing School - we are constantly striving for improvement with no room for complacency. We take our role as a National Teaching School very seriously, training cohorts of successful beginner teachers through our SCITT, forging very effective partnerships with other schools locally and nationally and contributing extensively to the country’s education system. This in turn brings the school significant benefits, enabling us to capture best practice and bring it back into school, weaving it into our DNA and making us better and better
These principles and practices have evolved over the past 25 years since The Compton School was set up by key members of the current SLT. This evolution has been based on an uncompromising search to seek out best practice and to apply any new developments within the context of The Compton and the needs of its students leading it to become one of the best schools in the country.